Trinity UMC relies on the generosity of donors like you. We believe that God calls us to good stewardship of our resources, and that giving is a spiritual discipline. It not only builds up the church, but helps us live according to Jesus’ words: Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust consume and where thieves break in and steal; but store up for yourselves treasures in heaven…For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
Check or Cash in the Offering Plate – You can place these directly into the plate on Sunday mornings, or use offering envelopes. If you’d like offering envelopes with your name on them, please contact the church office.
Electronic Giving through Vanco – Vanco is a secure and trusted third party source that Trinity uses to facilitate electronic giving. It is completely integrated with our financial database, and makes giving reliable and easy for you and our finance team. There are two options for electronic giving through Vanco:
1. Recurring Giving – You can have your offering automatically deducted from your Bank Account weekly or monthly. Use the link here to create an account, set up those transactions and adjust them at any time. OR, if you don’t want one more password to remember, you may simply print out this form and return it to the Church Office with a voided check. For more questions about recurring giving, please see this FAQ coming soon.
2. One Time Donations – You can make a one-time donation with your Bank Account or with a Credit Card through Vanco. Use the link here to make your donation.
Electronic Giving Through Your own Bank – Many banks offer an online banking program, whereby you can set up a recurring payment to Trinity UMC. We welcome you to do so and have your offering mailed as a check to Trinity UMC.
Stocks, Bonds, or Estate Giving – You are welcome to give other kinds of donations. We invite you to contact our church office, and we will put you in touch with a member of the Finance Team who can make arrangements with you.
What is my offering used for? Weekly offerings are used for the church’s total ministry in the community and world. These include operating expenses (mortgage, electricity, phones, building maintenance, etc.), ministry area expenses (Sunday school, adult education, youth, etc), worship expenses (music, supplies, equipment, etc.), staff salaries, and office expenses (paper, postage, supplies, etc.) unless the donation is designated for a specific use.
Can I designate an offering for something in particular? Yes, gifts can be designated for specific use by writing the use on the memo line of your check or giving specific instructions in writing to the treasurer or one of the pastors.
Are my donations tax-deductible? Yes, unless goods (such as flowers) or services (such as weddings) are received by the donor.
What structures are in place to ensure the church’s financial responsibility and transparency? A Finance Committee is elected annually by the Charge Conference. The committee compiles an annual budget which is submitted to the Church Council for approval. With the help of a group of counters, the Financial Secretary is responsible for counting and promptly depositing donations, and maintaining accurate donor records. The Treasurer disburses payments for expenses as named in the church budget, and prepares monthly financial statements which are submitted to the Church Council.
What is a pledge? Each Fall, we ask our members and regular attenders to make a pledge of their giving for the upcoming year. These are useful to the finance committee when establishing the church budget. Because your pledge is an estimate you can adjust it at any time as your financial circumstances change.
Trinity is registered with Amazon Smile, which gives back a percentage of your purchase to the organization you designate. To benefit Trinity:
1. click on http://tinyurl.com/trinitysmile
2. Click on the yellow “Select” button next to “Trinity United Methodist Church, Germantown, MD 20874”
3. Whenever you want to shop, go to http//:www.smile.amazon.com instead of the usual amazon.com address. That way, Trinity will benefit from your shopping at Amazon.
4. To make it easier, you can bookmark http//:www.smile.amazon.com in your browser and just click on your bookmark to shop.
5. If you use Google Chrome as your browser, you can add an extension called “Smile Always” that will automatically redirect you to the Smile page whenever you go to the regular Amazon.com.
6. If you use Firefox (Mozilla) you can install an extension called “Smile Redirect” to automatically redirect to Smile.